Saturday, December 03, 2005

Got Wood?

Regular readers will know I often feel depressed after watching Woody Allen films. Today I felt the need to watch the 1979 film "Manhattan" while eating my lunch. Woody Allen films are depressing for me because they remind me that (1) I'm not anything like Woody Allen, and (2) that my life is not like a Woody Allen film.

Watching Manhattan made me think about how culturaly dead Norwich is. One of the major issues in the UK is that there are so few places to hang around. So much "public" space is in fact owned by various companies.

My good friend Suzi called my around 11pm and I discussed the cultural things with her. She seemed to genuinely understand my pain. We are going to start a book group in an effort to inject some culture into our lives. It will fail.

No comments: