Saturday, February 04, 2006

THX-1138


I got to Norwich train station slightly before 8 am and took the delayed 7:37 train to London. Richard was waiting at Liverpool Street Station for me. We took the tube to South Kensington and found our way to the Imperial College Union buildings. Our previous visit there had been on a beautiful summer's day for NotCon, a one-day conference organised by Need To Know e-zine.

I was surprised and very pleased with the number of people attending the UK SDF meetup. Poff, PHM, Richard, Voidzero, Vosi, Plewylli and Brenden all came. We had some talks and lots of random discussion.

Poff recommended a local sandwich shop. Which turned out to be very good and was almost completely staffed by lovely Polish girls. I got a chicken curry baguette and some chocolate cake.

In the afternoon we watched "Electronic Labyrinth THX 1138:4EB", a short film directed by George Lucas. It was exceptionally good, far better than his later stuff like Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

The first day of the UK SDF meetup was a great success. It's always interesting to meet other SDF users. People are seldom how you imagine them, even if you've known them online for a couple of years.

At about 7:30 pm people went their separate ways. I took the tube to Stockwell where my friends Phin and Amy live. Stockwell is quite rough compared to South Kensington so I had to keep my wits about me.

At Phin's I ate Bean Pie. It was so good that I promised myself then and there to make some pies when I can be bothered. Phin, Amy and I watched The Yes Men on DVD, then I went to sleep on an army camp bed.

No comments: